Scripture for Week of March 16-22

1 Chronicles 11:22-24 (NIV)

22 Benaiah son of Jehoiada, a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, performed great exploits. He struck down Moab’s two mightiest warriors. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion. 23 And he struck down an Egyptian who was five cubits tall. Although the Egyptian had a spear like a weaver’s rod in his hand, Benaiah went against him with a club. He snatched the spear from the Egyptian’s hand and killed him with his own spear. 24 Such were the exploits of Benaiah son of Jehoiada; he too was as famous as the three mighty warriors.

9 replies
  1. Wes Harrelson
    Wes Harrelson says:

Great passage of courage, faith and integrity (also in 2 Sam. 23:20-23). This is the basis of the Crucible program as it teaches us to be “Lion Chasers” and to rely on God’s faithfulness and protection.

2. Pastor Lee
    Pastor Lee says:

This passage is always a reminder that the same weapon we choose to fight with, can become the weapon that takes us down when not used in the manner God intends. Our strengths, gifts, and talents are given by God to be used for God. Let us never get jealous of what someone else has (spear vs. club) but instead focus on the purpose God has for us with what He has already given us. My club is mightier than the greatest spear when God wields it!

3. Tom Price
    Tom Price says:

I love a good action adventure! Put a spear, a bow, or a sword in it and I’m there. Benaiah seemed to do some impossible feats in his lifetime. I really don’t think those feats could have been done in his own strength. I love the words of Jesus in John 14:12, “…he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.” (NASB)

I can fantasize all I want about doing something awesome, but in order to pull off the impossible, I have to be a surrendered vessel. I am convinced that Jesus didn’t expect us to study His life then repeat! He fully intended to keep living His life, but now in us, through us, as us. As we live our lives in this manner, our “exploits” will talked about in the heaven!

4. Marc McDermott
    Marc McDermott says:

If God be for us, who can be against us!! How can one not be stirred up to follow Christ where ever He sends and whatever the call, looking at the example of this man who went forth in the power of God’s might and strength? God is always looking for and is pleased with faithful servants who will enlist to do His work and risk it all for Him.

We may not have Benaiah’s might and strength, but it is when we choose to stand up in God’s Name and fight the enemy with what we have (what He has given us) that we find God’s greatest power unleashed in our lives. How many times do we see this truth throughout all the Bible? We cannot fight the real battle from our pews or easy chairs at home. James 1:12 tells us that “blessed is the man who endures under trial, because having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to them that love Him.”

I am reminded of an old hymn by Isaac Watts, “Am I A Soldier of The Cross”….it reads.:

Am I a soldier of the cross,
    A follower of the Lamb?
    And shall I fear to own His cause,
    Or blush to speak His Name?

Must I be carried to the skies,
    On flowery beds of ease,
    While others fought to win the prize,
    And sailed through bloody seas?

Are there no foes for me to face?
    Must I not stem the flood?
    Is this vile world a friend to grace,
    To help me on to God?

Sure I must fight if I would reign,
    Increase my courage Lord;
    I’ll bear the toil, endure the pain,
    Supported by Thy Word.

5. Art Fulks
    Art Fulks says:

In my mind, I would like to perceive all of these vailant men as upstanding heroes that you would want to be the ones who come calling on your daughters. Were they like Navy Seals or the guys from Duck Dynasty? On one hand, a Navy Seal is generally honorable, loyal, respectful, and very brave. It is for certain that King David needed those around him with bravery and loyalty. In order to be a true hero that is a model for us all, I would liked to have read in the text something like, “…and God was with Benaiah and made him successful.” or, “Benaiah was a man of great faith and God made him famous.” It is interesting that in both the 1 Chronicles passage and the 2 Samuel passage the writers note that he did not attain to the top three. On the other hand, David appointed him to lead his peronal guard. What was it about his character that would cause David to trust him in that role?

6. Tom Mullins
    Tom Mullins says:

We are so afraid to speak to someone about our faith in Jesus when we are not even close to a pit with a lion in it. Too often my foot prints in the snow lead away from the appointment God has for me.

7. Ben Brezina
    Ben Brezina says:

This passage shouts to me of great courage. Benaiah time and again was able to look grave danger in the face and not be paralyzed by fear. To drop down into a pit and look a wild lion in the face and kill it – amazing. To see a much stronger enemy with superior weapons and still go forward to fight him – incredible. Where did Benaiah’s courage come from? What did he know or believe that made him move into action when others cowered in fear? The Bible doesn’t say. But if he was like his king (David), he ran to God (his strong tower and a very present help in times of trouble). I will never forget David’s words when he faced Goliath “Then David said to the Philistine, ‘You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted. This day the LORD will deliver you up into my hands, and I will strike you down and remove your head from you. And I will give the dead bodies of the army of the Philistines this day to the birds of the sky and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel,’” 1 Samuel 17:45, 46. In Psalm 56:11 David writes “In God I have put my trust, I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?” What boldness! What courage! But not in his own strength – in the strength of his God. When we really know and believe the love that God has for us and our status as his children, we stand with courage. We can join Paul in confidence saying “if God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)

“‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ “Behold, all those who are angered at you will be shamed and dishonored; Those who contend with you will be as nothing and will perish. “You will seek those who quarrel with you, but will not find them, Those who war with you will be as nothing and non-existent. “For I am the LORD your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, ‘Do not fear, I will help you.’” Isaiah 41:10-13

8. Doug Barclay
    Doug Barclay says:

Not only was Benaiah a man of great integrity and character, but he faced incredible opposition head-on and was able to slay whatever ‘giant’ crossed his path. Instead of running away from danger, he embraced it. He attacked when others retreated. He was not a scaredy cat, he was a lion chaser. A quote from Mark Batterson – “Faith is unlearning the senseless worries and misguided beliefs that keep us captive.” Most of us in the US (and in the Western world) have so much abundance that we are afraid to step out in faith because we ‘perceive’ we have so much to loose. The church is flourishing in many parts of the world where there is persecution. It is one thing to want God, but it’s another thing to need God. If I am afraid to share my faith, then maybe my faith isn’t worth much.

Several years ago, we had Mark Batterson come and share with our community at FBC. He came shortly after his book “In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day” was released. Mark challenged us to look at risk in light of God’s Word and His ways, to step out in faith and rely upon the God of our faith. If we are to become the people of faith God wants us to become, perhaps we should adopt the Lion Chaser’s Manifesto:

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-sized passions. Grab life by the mane. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand my horizons. Accumulate experiences. Consider the lilies. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse I can to celebrate everything I can. Live like today is like the first day and last day of my life. Don’t let what’s wrong with me keep me from worshiping what’s right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze a new trail. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don’t try to be who I’m not. Be myself. Laugh at myself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away. Chase the lion!

9. Joey Rodgers
    Joey Rodgers says:

Benaiah was the man! He was bad to the bone. He was bold. He was obviously cunning. He was the definition of courageous. After all, who in their right mind chases after lions? Those who have the spirit of Benaiah. Those who have a genuine faith in a great, big God.

In Benaiah we discover that the path to a person’s greatest potential is often directly through their great fears. Let me state it another way. That which appeared to Benaiah as a scary lion turned out to be the basis of his reputation and success. Chasing his lion, his fears, was one of the key events God used to define his life. That’s because life’s greatest opportunities often come disguised as God-sized challenges.

To me, one of the big questions of 2 Samuel 23 is — How big is your God? This might be one of the most important questions we ever ask ourselves. How big is your God? A.W. Tozier once said, “A low view of God is the cause of a hundred lesser evils. but a person with a high (or large) view of God is relieved of ten thousand temporal problems.” In other words, a small view of God leads to significant problems while a large view of God solves them. This is the difference between lion chasers and scaredy-cats. Scaredy-cats try to avoid any and all situations where the odds are against them while lion chasers understand that impossible odds simply set the stage for God to show up and act like God. IT Matters — we never allow human odds to dictate or determine our Divine calling or conviction.

God is bigger than our problems. He is bigger than our worst fears and failures. He is bigger than our greatest fears. He is bigger!

Comments are closed.